It’s been over two weeks since John Green announced the release date, title, and synopsis for his new book, and somehow, I haven’t taken to the internet to publicly voice my excitement yet. So here it is! His new book is called Turtles All The Way Down and comes out this October.
It all begins with a fugitive billionaire and the promise of a cash reward.
Turtles All the Way Down is about lifelong friendship, the intimacy of an unexpected reunion, Star Wars fan fiction, and tuatara.
But at its heart is Aza Holmes, a young woman navigating daily existence within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts.
Here are five reasons I’m excited about this news:
1. I’m a huge fan of John Green as a person, vlogger, educator, and writer, and have been for some time. I’m so excited about this new book, because it means I once again get to feel the excitement of opening up a brand new John Green book for the first time, and I’m looking forward to seeing how his writing has changed since The Fault in our Stars.
2. This is going to be the perfect opportunity for me to talk to other people about John Green, and introduce people to his writing and other work for the very first time.
3. When The Fault in our Stars was released, John and his brother Hank went on tour to promote it, and even came to my usually unexciting hometown in the UK. I would love to be able to meet John a second time, so I have my fingers crossed that the new book might mean a new book tour!
4. One of the topics that John has said the new book explores is mental health. I’ve really appreciated John talking about his mental health in videos and podcasts before, and I think it’s really important to have mental health representation in books too.
5. I know that John’s been working on this book for a while, and I know it’s been hard for him. I’m genuinely just happy for him that it’s on its way to being released.
Other than being excited about a new John Green book, I’ve been spending most of my time working on my masters project or hanging out with friends. Plus, I have book club later on today for the first time in a couple of months.
What else have I been up to lately?
- I just finished Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moira Fowley-Doyle, which I really liked, particularly for the first half of the book. Review to come.
- I just started The Golden Fool (The Tawny Man #2) by Robin Hobb and I am so happy to be reading Robin Hobb again.
- American Gods – I’ve just watched the first two episodes of this series, and I am seriously impressed.
- Poldark – I’m not usually a period drama kind of person, but there’s something about this show.
- Baby Driver – I watched this movie earlier in the week, and I thought it was great (apart from when it lulled a bit in the middle) – fun, violent and fast-paced.
- I’ve not played a lot of games in the past couple of weeks, but I’ve been watching a friend play through Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and it’s reminded me of how much I love that game.
I’ve Been Buying…
- I’m heading to London Film and Comic Con in a couple of weeks, and a couple of days ago, I bought myself a ticket for Benedict Cumberbatch‘s talk. I am very excited to get to see one of my favourite actors in-person (even if it is from afar).
- I love this art of Kell and Lila from V. E. Schwab’s Shades of Magic series. More by the artist here.
He swayed on his feet, and Lila caught him.
“Stay with me,” she said.
I’ve also been enjoying…
- Melodrama by Lorde. Something about Lorde’s latest album has me completely addicted. I don’t usually feel this way about pop music, but this has been stuck in my head for the last couple of weeks. Stand-out tracks include Sober, Perfect Places and The Louvre. Plus, her Glastonbury set (which I watched from the comfort of my own home) looked amazing.
Let me know what books, TV series, video games, music etc. you’ve been enjoying lately!